Hello, it seems I unintentionally took the summer off from blogging but I’m back with the new season. Despite the glorious weather (which i’m loving) i’m feeling autumnal. I do love September, the delightful warmth of the summer but with the crisp freshness of autumn. I’m enjoying the sunshine while it lasts but still thinking about cozy stews and pies, baking with cinnamon and spice and cozy mulled drinks and knitting.
September brings with it that back to school new beginnings vibe and its great for trying new things and setting goals and challenges. My August goal was to learn to knit with 2 colours (stripy scarfs ahoy!) which I managed in one Sunday afternoon (more on that later). Autumn for me brings a lot of excitement about food and out will come my winter cook books. Last year I learned to make a Kugelhopf (something which I never got round to blogging but I promise I will this year)
I thought I would set my goals for autumn down in my blog, then I’m sure to do them and I can let you know about my progress
- Make stripy scarfs (in progress)
- I’ve enrolled in some sewing workshops to try and get to grips with sewing again. Many years ago I bought a sewing machine, lots of fabric and a dress and skirt pattern. Sadly I never really got to grips with things and was too scared to cut the patterns. I found a great course called “Making the most of your sewing machine” where I can learn a lot of the basics and how to use the machine properly. You bring your own machine so this is even better. Ive also signed up for the vintage embroidery class (mainly because of the pretty picture). I thought this would be rather fun as I haven’t done any embroidery since the sixth form.
- Learn to knit dolls. Ive always wanted to do this and i found these lovely free patterns online. The plan is to try the rainbow babies and then the snowman however I have a little further to go with my knitting skills first (increasing and decreasing) so it may take a little longer but its nice to have a goal. Whats lovely is some nice people have offered to help.
- Bake scones (particularly savoury ones as i have some really yummy recipes)
- Mull things! Maybe wine, maybe ginger beer or cider but I’ve still never actually done this despite my plans, that is unless you found the winter spiced vodka (Nigella Christmas)
- Start swimming again
- Join the Women’s Institute. Ive been wanting to join for years and may actually get round to it next month!